Sunday, June 16, 2013

How to Calibrate Your Computer Monitor

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, calibrating your computer monitor is essential for obtaining the best results when processing, viewing and printing photos. Here is an excellent article on the Scientific American blog that provides  an overview of the process of monitor calibration, including some suggestions for the hardware and software to use for this: "Gamma and White Point Explained: How to Calibrate your Computer Monitor".

I would like to add that, ideally, the white point to which you set your monitor should be consistent with the the color temperature of the ambient light where your monitor is located and where you evaluate your prints. I use a white point of D50 when calibrating my monitor, and I use a special fluorescent bulb that has a color temperature of 5,500 Kelvin (very close to the D50 color temperature), mounted in a softbox for nice, even illumination of my monitor/print viewing area.

For the more technically oriented, here is a more in-depth explanation of the process on the Cambridge in Color blog: "Monitor Calibration for Photography"

No comments:

Post a Comment